Changes in Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on assuming his office took the very first decision of granting approval to major changes in the ‘Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme’ under the National Defence Fund. This decision is in line with PM’s vision for India’s safety, security and well-being of those who protect the nation.
NDF was set up in 1962. It was meant to take charge of voluntary donations (in cash and kind) received for promotion of national defence effort, and also to decide on their utilisation. National Defence Fund also accepts online voluntary contributions. NDF is used for welfare of members of Armed Forces, Para Military forces and Railway Protection Force, and their dependents.
Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme (PMSS) is implemented under NDF. PMSS encourages technical and post-graduate education for widows and wards of deceased or ex-service personnel of Armed Forces, Para Military Forces and Railway Protection Force (RPF). Scholarships under the scheme are available for education at technical institutions such as MBA, MCA, engineering, medical, dental, veterinary, or any other equivalent technical professions (with suitable AICTE/UGC approval).
Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme: Changes
- Scholarship Rate: The rates of scholarship have been increased from Rs.2000pm (per month) to Rs.2500pm for boys and from Rs.2250pm to Rs.3000pm for girls.
- Scholarship Extended: The ambit of Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme is now extended to include the wards of State Police officials who are or were martyred during terror or naxal attacks. The new scholarships quota for wards of state police officials will be 500 in one year. For the implementation of it the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) will be the nodal Ministry.
Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme: Highlights
- The move of including police personnel wards provides recognition to the length of monumental contribution of our police personnel who performing their duties with utmost diligence.
- The availability of scholarship under the scheme will enable more youngsters from police families to study and excel in different fields and will also have an empowering effect on several bright young minds.
- The Prime Minister took the decision in spirit that it is country’s duty not only to express gratitude but also do things towards welfare of police personnel and their families.